Monday, April 14, 2014

Homemade Powder Detergent

I have had several friends recently ask me for my laundry detergent recipe.  So, here we go...

This recipe was given to me by my friend April, who used to sell it in her store (which she has now sold).  I have tweaked it a bit to keep it easy, as she used to actually MAKE her own soap for it!

I make this a double batch and it usually lasts me about 3 months, family of 4 with 2 of them being young boys who like to play outside.


Here is a picture of the ingredients I use.  I buy the big bag of Baking Soda at Costco just because I use it so much anyway and it's SO much cheaper in the huge 13 lb bag.  I've found all of these ingredients at my local Walmart as well.

For a double batch it goes as follows:

2 Boxes of the Zote Laundry Flakes (no grating, YAY!)(I may up this to 3 boxes to test)
2 Boxes of the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 Boxes of the 20 Mule Team Borax
2 Large Boxes of the Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda (or I measure out 8 lbs)



Mix, and use.

I tend to use about 3/4-ish cup per wash.  I do have a water softener and a non-HE top loader though, so someone with hard water may need more soap(add more of the Zote flakes or use a larger scoop) and someone using a HE washer may need to use less.

For tough stains, I like to use Buncha Farmers Stain Stick and that works like a champ!  It has gotten out engine grease from my husband's jeans, blood out of my 3 year old's shirt, grass and iron rich dirt out of my 6 year old's WHITE baseball pants.

If you'd like to remove any residues from your previous laundry detergent choice, Cadie's Laundry Treatment is an awesome additive!

And finally, for the dryer, to help lessen your drying time and to help fluff up and soften your laundry without the harsh chemicals of dryer sheets, add a few Baby Bear Dryer Balls.  If you like scents, you could add a few drops of doTERRA Essential Oils for a refreshingly light scent.

I will admit, though, that I do choose to use Grab Green Laundry Pods on my linens.  They smell just SO good!

Here's to a good clean and harsh chemical free home!

Peace, Love, and Mamas, Go Green!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment